July/August Newsletter Available
THA TIMES Opening Doors, Changing Lives
Volume 3 - 2020
Online access to your THA account coming soon!
Second Harvest of South Georgia distributed food boxes to our senior and disabled residents in June. Shown is Mr. Rodney Harris receiving his food box.
Second Harvest of South Georgia periodically distributes food boxes on a first come/first served basis. Watch for upcoming announcements for dates.
Summer Learning in a Box
Tifton Housing Authority is offering a box of learning activities for our K-3rd grade residents to bridge the gap while waiting for school to start back. The box includes items to increase reading skills and STEM activities and we will deliver each box to your apartment and will add to the box weekly. If you are interested please contact Melanie Nunley or San Womack at 229-382-5434. Shown are a few of our happy residents receiving their learning boxes.
Georgia Power to offer special payment options for customers during COVID-19 pandemic recovery
Company's special payment plan to help customers with past-due account balances. Suspension of disconnections extended until July 15 to continue assisting customers
NEWS PROVIDED BY Georgia Power Jun 16, 2020, 13:15 ET
ATLANTA, June 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power is offering a special payment plan to help customers with past-due account balances accumulated during the COVID-19 pandemic. Customers who enroll will be able to pay past-due balances over a six-month timeframe between October 2020 and March 2021 with no late fees.
The suspension of disconnections has also been extended until July 15 to continue assisting customers through the impacts of COVID-19. In addition to the special payment plan, Georgia Power is offering customers the following options:
- For customers enrolled in PrePay: Georgia Power customers who are currently enrolled in this plan and have past-due account balances can make payments for current energy usage and have a portion of their payments (25 percent) go toward their outstanding balance. No late fees will be charged if outstanding balances are paid before April 2021.
- For customers not enrolled in PrePay: Georgia Power customers with past-due account balances may be eligible to switch to the PrePay rate plan. Customers can sign up by July 15 with no deposit to take advantage of its special provision for paying outstanding balances with no late fees if paid before April 2021.
"We recognize that our customers across the state have endured an extraordinary burden due to the COVID-19 pandemic," said Kevin Kastner, Georgia Power vice president of Customer Service. "We appreciate the support of the Georgia Public Service Commission as we work to help our customers navigate through these unprecedented times."
Georgia Power customers can sign up for a special payment plan at www.georgiapower.com/paymentplan, by logging onto My Account on www.georgiapower.com, or by calling 1-888-660-5890.
Relief on summer bills
On June 1, Georgia Power announced that the typical residential customer using 1,000 kilowatt-hours will receive an $11.29 credit on their June Georgia Power bill. This reflects implementation of a one-time $51.5 million credit for customers, approved by the Georgia Public Service Commission (PSC).
The PSC also recently approved Georgia Power's plan to reduce its fuel rates by 17.2 percent and total billings by approximately $740 million over a two-year period. The implementation of a special interim reduction will provide customers additional relief during the COVID-19 pandemic through even lower fuel rates over the upcoming summer months. The lower fuel rate and special interim reduction will lower the total bill of a typical residential customer using an average of 1,000 kilowatt-hours by a total of $10.26 per month from June through September 2020.
Energy Assistance Programs - Georgia Power partners with nonprofits, community and faith-based organizations to offer assistance programs to those in need. These programs include:
- Georgia Power's Senior Citizen Discount - Georgia Power customers 65 years of age or older who meet the income requirements for eligibility can receive up to $24 a month off their bill.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - Georgia Power supports the Division of Family & Children Services to help qualifying, low-income households pay their home energy bills.
- The Salvation Army's Project SHARE - Established in partnership with The Salvation Army, Georgia Power customers can provide assistance to residents in the same community for expenses, such as utility bills, housing, food and medical necessities.
Visit www.GeorgiaPower.com/EnergyAssistance for more information.
Several state and regional agencies and organizations provide critical services and resources for residents. Below are phone numbers for some of the more commonly needed resource agencies within Tift County and throughout the State of Georgia.
- Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS)
Georgia Department of Human Services 1-877-423-4746;
in Tift County call: 229-386-3388
- U.S. Social Security Administration Office
732 2nd St W, Tifton, GA 31794; 1-800-772-1213
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Clinic
1824 N Ridge Ave, Tifton, GA 31794; 229-391-608
- Reports of child abuse and neglect:
1-855-GA-CHILD (1-855-422-4453) OR 911
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-33-HAVEN (1-800-334-2836)
- Mental Health, Drugs or Alcohol Help:
Georgia Crisis & Access Line
- Tift County Schools information - visit: www.tiftschools.com
- Second Harvest of South Georgia
Distribution Site in Tifton:
Georgia Museum of Agriculture (Agrirama) - 1392 Whiddon Mill Rd
- Affordable Medications program:
Goodpill prescription program is providing 3 months of medications to GA families impacted by COVID-19. Contact for assistance: 1-888-987-5187 or email.
- Need internet access? The public library's WIFI is still available outside the building (keep up those 6 feet of social distance)...the library remains closed until further notice.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Congratulations to Rodney Harris
As a member of Toastmasters International, Mr. Harris participated in the Toastmasters Pathways learning experience and has completed the Effective Coaching path. In a letter from Daniel Rex, the Chief Executive Officer of Toastmasters, Harris was commended on his commitment to excellence in communication and leadership. We are proud of you Rodney!
The office of Tifton Housing Authority remains closed to anyone physically. However, we are answering the phones and continuing to address any concerns our residents may have.
Work orders are handled on a case by case basis, with emergencies answered first and then any issues that may cause future problems handled. If you have an emergency after our normal business hours, remember to press 2 to be transferred to the maintenance voice mail.
Additionally, annual recertifications and interims are being handled via mail, email or sitting at a table on our front porch. Please bring a mask.
Remember, rent is still due as usual. By the 7th for public housing and by the 5th for those in Deas.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 229-382-5434.
ON-LINE ACCESS TO THA
Tifton Housing Authority is proud to announce that within a couple of months we will have the capability for our residents to do business with us on-line.
This will include:
- Access to your account to see your rent amount
- Pay your rent
- Print your lease
- Complete your annual recertification including uploading supporting documents
- Notify THA of changes to your household or income
- New applicants will be able to complete an application on-line.
Additionally, we will have a kiosk in the lobby for those that are not able to access the internet from home.
Photo is an example, actual kiosk may be different.
We assure you that all of your personal identifying information will remain safe and secure. We take cyber security seriously and have the appropriate firewalls and data encryptions in place and will continue to do so.
Our goal is to make your experience with us as simple and safe as possible. Exciting things are happening at Tifton Housing Authority!
The best advice for avoiding the flu or coronavirus is to
WASH, WASH, WASH YOUR HANDS!
CONTINUE SOCIAL DISTANCING - AVOID LARGE GATHERINGS
Download Tifton Housing Authority Mobile App.
Available for Android/Google Play or Apple.
Tifton Housing Authority Staff