THA Times - November/December 2022
THA Times Vol 12 - 2022 - Opening Doors - Changing Lives
Election Day - November 8th
You can vote in person on Election Day from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. at your assigned polling place. If you are in line by 7 p.m., you will still be allowed to vote. Be sure to bring your government-issued photo ID.
Find your assigned polling place on the My Voter Page here. No matter how you choose to cast your ballot, vote!
10 Tips for Enjoying the Holidays!
- Reflect on what is important to you during the holidays.
- Make a plan as early as possible about what you will do during the holidays.
- Communicate clearly how others can assist or support you.
- Realize the holiday season is a marathon, not a sprint.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Manage your spending.
- Monitor alcohol and medications - individually and together.
- Manage your expectations for family gatherings.
- Think ahead about stories or observations from the past as a family that you'd like to share.
- Reflect on what went well and the improvements you would like to make for next year.
- Work orders are handled on a case-by-case basis, with emergencies answered first, then any issues that may cause future problems handled. If you have an emergency after normal business hours, remember to press 5 to be transferred to the maintenance ON-CALL Person. Please leave your name, phone number, and the nature of your call.
- NO PARKING ON THE GRASS. Violators may be towed at the owner's expense.
- NO PARKING OR BLOCKING THE ALLEY. Violators may be towed at the owner's expense.
- Please return all roll-out garbage containers back to your apartments on the day of trash pickup.
Violators may be fined by Tifton Housing Authority.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 229.382.5434.
Property Management News
- New Applicant Call-in / New Applicant Orientation:
- Recertifications: Old Omega Road Apartments & Peterson Apartments:
- New Applicants Appointments:
RENT IS DUE ON THE 1ST & LATE AFTER THE 7TH FOR PUBLIC HOUSING.
RENT IS DUE ON THE 1ST & LATE AFTER THE 5TH FOR DEAS HOMES.
Holiday Fire Safety
Cooking and heating are the leading causes of home fires and fire injuries, and winter months are the peak time for fire-related deaths.
- When cooking, stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- Remember to keep all flammables, like paper, clothing, bedding, drapes, or rugs, at least 3 feet from a space heater, stove, or fireplace.
- Ensure your smoke alarms are working and replace batteries in your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector annually.
The Affordable Connectivity Program is an FCC benefit program that helps ensure that households can afford the broadband they need for work, school, healthcare, and more.
The benefit provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households.
The Affordable Connectivity Program is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
To learn more, or to see if you qualify, visit GetInternet.gov.
Celebrate Creativity Arts Festival
Downtown, Sat Nov 5th, 10 am - 5 pm
Come enjoy a beautiful day full of art, creativity, & family fun.
Second Harvest of South Georgia's Thanksgiving for Thousands will distribute at the Georgia Museum of Agriculture on Sunday, Nov 6, at 7 am.
Daylight Savings on Nov 6th
Downtown, Nov 12th, 10 am - 5 pm
This chill-tastic board game challenge is designed for all ages and is perfect for families to do together! As you complete your reading goals, you earn an entry into the prize room! Slide on in to the Tifton-Tift County Public Library and pick up your game board!
Parenting Class will meet on Thursdays at 12:30 p.m. at Dixie Community Building. If you have been recommended for this class, please plan to attend. Transportation can be provided, if needed. Please contact Ms. Melanie for assistance.
1st Friday Health Checks
Southwell Mobile Health Clinic will be offering "1 st Friday Health Checks" on THA properties on Friday mornings. Services of the mobile clinic include sick and well visits, screenings, education, and referrals to specialty care. The first stop for the mobile clinic to be announced soon.
Performing Arts Events
THA Residents interested in attending upcoming performing arts events at the Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College should give us a call! We have a set number of free tickets just for you!
Our Year in Review
During October, our youth had the opportunity to participate in the City of Tifton Ghost Tours.
The youth took a 45-minute spooky ghost hunt around the Historic District of Tifton and received scream bags for participating.
Our THA Residents got the opportunity to renew and refocus at the Georgia Association of Housing and Redevelopment Authorities (GAHRA) Resident Leadership Development Conference!
THA aims to prepare youth residents with a solid foundation in reading, and over the summer, we hosted our K-3rd graders in our summer reading program!
Family Fun Day
Family Fun Day was an opportunity for THA to celebrate and bring awareness to the importance of strong families throughout our communities.
Our Elderly Village residents participated in themed bingo days throughout the year. This gave residents an opportunity to have fellowships with neighbors and win prizes.
Residents enjoying A Raisin in the Sun stage play at the Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College earlier this year.
The holidays are here! Most of us look forward to family, friends, and food. Although this time is joyous, and we have a lot to be thankful for, this time of the year can bring sadness, loneliness, and overwhelming feelings. The tips on the front of this newsletter are here to help us all better manage our expectations this season and even enjoy it.
This year our agency brought families together with our "3rd Annual Family Fun Day," we saw our youth tackle reading over the summer, residents embark on leadership training and our elderly fellowship over themed Bingo. Thank you to my incredible team of staff for your continued hard work. We appreciate our residents for working with us through lingering Covid and thank our Board Members and Community Partners for your contributions as we strive to provide valuable services and resources to our families.
Read through this newsletter for more holiday tips and upcoming events, visit our website, sign up to receive text and email notifications, and download our app from your favorite mobile store. Also, don't forget to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter @TiftonHousing. We want to ensure that you receive resident news and community resources in multiple ways.
Please get in touch with Tifton Housing Authority with questions or concerns at 229.382.5434. Until then, have a safe and enjoyable holiday season. Remember to set your clocks back on November 6th; we look forward to seeing you in the New Year!
Executive Director, Ms. Shaundra Clark
"The Tifton Housing Authority is committed to achieving excellence in providing safe, clean, and modern housing while promoting self-sufficiency and upward mobility to our residents."
Tifton Housing Authority Holiday Office Closures:
- Veterans Day: November 11, 2022
- Thanksgiving Holiday: November 24 - November 25, 2022
- Christmas Holidays: December 23 - December 26, 2022